How to find business clients with Facebook groups
Facebook Groups are a great way to find, connect, and build trust with your ideal clients. Here’s how you can use them for marketing your business.
If you aren’t currently leveraging Facebook groups (or under-utilizing them) to grow your business and build your email list, then this article will show you how to do it.
I’ve been leveraging Facebook groups to get clients and I love them as a business opportunity. (In fact, I enjoyed them so much I started my own: The Business Profit Engine – feel free to join us.)
Here’s why I think Facebook groups are a fantastic place to get clients:
- They are an excellent way to reach your target audience for free.
- Facebook groups let you closely interact with potential customers or followers.
- Facebook groups are a good tool to promote your content, products or services.
- You can showcase your knowledge and experience in your niche.
- Facebook groups help you grow your traffic, build your email list, and build your revenue.
- Facebook groups allow you to network with other savvy entrepreneurs.
- Facebook groups are a fantastic place to ask questions about best business practices.
- You can interact with other business owners and bloggers to brainstorm, celebrate successes, share your stucks, give feedback, and make friends.
- You can get tons of new clients from Facebook groups!
What’s a Facebook Group and how do I join to market my business?
Facebook groups are communities of people who come together virtually to connect over a common topic. And there are TONS of Facebook groups for businesses, online entrepreneurs, digital marketers, content creators, VA, bloggers, and more.
This means that Facebook Groups are a fantastic way to connect and interact with your ideal clients and – as I mentioned above – they are free!
Facebook groups are not only great for getting clients, but also for meeting other online business owners, learning from their great educational posts and videos, and growing your email list!
In addition, actively participating in Facebook groups can easily position you and your business as the go-to-expert in your industry, and help you create strong long-term connections that turn into leads and clients.
Below is how you find the right Facebook groups to join to market your business effectively.
To have success in Facebook Groups, I’ve discovered it’s best to belong to engaged communities filled with motivated members and an enthusiastic host. These well-moderated groups have clear guidelines on posting, promotions, and the purpose of the group.
Join Facebook groups where your ideal clients hang out
There is a group for everything on Facebook — but don’t get sucked down a Facebook group rabbit hole. Instead, focus on joining groups that will have the MOST impact on your business.
To search for relevant groups, use the “Search” field in the top left corner of Facebook. You can search by topic (ex: marketing), your location, and even get very specific by typing in “Groups joined by people who like (an influencer’s page name)” or “Groups of friends by people who like (your page name).”
For example, if you are in the health and weight loss business and you know many of your ideal clients have tried Weight Watchers, you could type in“Groups joined by people who like Weight Watchers.”
You can also search for groups filled with your ideal clients. For example, if you are a VA who works for coaches, then search for “coaching” groups. If you are a financial planner who specializes in real estate brokers, then search for “real estate broker” Facebook groups.
You can also go into the “Groups” section of Facebook, click “Discover”, and Facebook will suggest groups that your friends belong to, local groups, and other relevant groups you may like.
Read the description of the Facebook group and determine if it is a good fit for you. The best groups on Facebook closed so you have to join to actually see the posts.
Once you click on the group, you can read more about it and decide whether you would like to join. Then, you just click the Join button (see the graphic below).
Most groups will ask you 3 questions – be sure to answer these with a bit of thought because they are how the group host decides whether you are a good fit for their community.
What types of Facebook groups should I join?
There are three types of Facebook groups I recommend joining to grow your business and/or blog:
- Groups where your ideal customers hang out
- Groups where your peers from the same industry hang out
- Groups where other entrepreneurs hang out
- Groups hosted by someone you follow and admire
Get the best results from Facebook groups to attract your ideal clients
Here are my recommendations for getting the most out of Facebook groups for marketing your business:
1) Start off by joining 3-5 Facebook groups. While you can join as many Facebook groups as you would like, it’s difficult to actively participate in too many. Choose a few Facebook groups where your fans and ideal clients are and post or comment at least once a week in them.
2) Read the Facebook group guidelines and rules. You can find these in the sidebar or pinned to the top of the group. Learn what the group will allow (and what it won’t) and do NOT violate these or you will get booted and banned from the group.
3) Actively participate and contribute to the Facebook group: Once you join a group, you become a member of a community. Show up in it consistently, add value, provide tips, showcase your expertise, post thought-provoking questions, be a resource, and congratulate people when they have wins.
In other words, interact with people in the same way you would if you met them at an in-person meeting. Get visible and get known for your area of expertise, and as a person who makes contributions.
- Show up consistently (at least two-three times a week) in the Facebook groups – daily is best.
- Answer questions from others that showcase your area of expertise
- Share quality content (mini blog posts, case studies, how-tos, tips, etc.)
- Post thought-provoking questions about your area of expertise
- Be a resource for people and a connector
- Be interested in others and their progress or journey
- Acknowledge and celebrate others and their accomplishments
If the Facebook group has daily topics or questions, participate in them and get your name and brand seen by others in the group (especially if you can tie it into your area of expertise).
You are just getting your name into the Facebook group repeatedly and providing great content. People will start to remember your name, ask you questions, and seek you out. Eventually, people will ask how they can work with you and you’ll start getting a steady stream of clients.
4) Share your lead magnets in your Facebook groups (if they allow you to do so). Once you’ve found some Facebook groups with your ideal customer and they have discovered that you are an expert in what you do (because you’ve provided such incredible value. Now it’s time to get them on your list! Then you can get them to become a client.
Look in the Facebook group guidelines for their Promo Day or Offer Day. The host will typically have a prompt with a graphic that is called something like Freebie Friday or Offer Day or Share-It Wednesday. Post your lead magnet under that prompt.
When you join a Facebook group, please be a good participant and contribute. You will get the best results by adding value to the community.
Also, don’t get sucked in by huge group numbers when you consider which ones that you will join. What I’ve found is that big groups are great for learning, but can be hard to get noticed in – posts get pushed down quickly because of their high volume of activity.
I’ve had a lot of success in getting more traffic and leads from groups under 5,000 because more people are likely to see your promo and posts. You can also build relationships more quickly in smaller groups. So, don’t be a “numbers addict” because when it comes to Facebook Groups – size isn’t everything!
Follow these steps and watch ideal clients come to you from Facebook groups
When you follow these tips and participate in Facebook groups regularly, you will be amazed at how quickly things can happen in your business.
Not only will you get leads and clients, but – if you show up regularly – you’ll be asked to form strategic partnerships, get referrals, be invited to speak on podcasts and Facebook live interviews, and much more!